An Ohio business proprietor’s rapid downward spiral to close-death started innocently enough — with a loving lick on her arm by one of her pet dogs.
Marie Trainer’s signs appeared shortly after, based on the Fox 8. She felt nausea, her temperature acted unevenly, and after being taken to the hospital, her situation kept worsening. Sepsis set in, and she developed gangrene. The hospital workers put Trainer in an induced coma. She awoke 10 days later to seek out that her legs and arms had been partially amputated.
“After I opened my eyes I didn’t know the place I used to be,” Trainer told Fox 8. “It was very exhausting to seek out that they had to take away my legs and my arms…very hard to deal with.”
However, the amputations probably saved her life, Fox 8 reported.
Tests concluded that the reason for infection was capnocytophaga, a germ generally present in dogs and cats that may be contagious after close contact. Most of the time, exposure to it doesn’t result in the severe consequences that Trainer confronted.
Doctors believe that the germ might have entered her body by a small scrape on her arm.Dr. Margaret Kobe, who’s the medical director of infectious disease at the hospital where Trainer was treated, stated of capnocytophaga: “[It is] pretty common in the oral flora or the mouth of a dog, and it may be transmitted through a bite or sometimes just contact with saliva.